SUSTAINABILITY Sustainability is an integral part of our design approach. The Practice considers that good design is sustainable design however it must be realistic in its implementation. This is achieved via the integration of environmental, social and economic issues into the design of a building and its services.
- The development of a low energy and environment friendly.
- Establishing strategies for integrated design and low energy building.
- Advising on the integration of renewable energy technologies.
- To assess daylight, internal thermal comfort conditions and ventilation.
- Providing guidance on how to maximise BREEAM ratings.
- Assessing environmental impact, embodied energy and lifecycle costs.
- Reviewing design details to check for air tightness.
- Conservation of water.
- Consideration of current and future legislation and its possible impact.
- Performing reality checks of estimated energy use against benchmarks.
- Supporting commissioning and handover.
Other issues to be considered include; materials selection, bio-diversity,
transport and waste.
In all areas of design issues relating to energy use, distribution systems,
equipment selection and the like utilise solid engineering practice which is
the first step in achieving sustainable construction.
DESIGN-O-TECH is committed to reducing to a minimum the environmental impact
of its business activities, and to reviewing and updating its practices in the
light of new developments, and understandings of the issues involved.
- Will operate in a manner designed to minimise environmental, health
or safety hazards to its employees and others in the vicinity of its operation.
- Is committed to complying with all legal requirements, and will endeavour
to exceed these standards where practicable.
- Expects its suppliers, contractors and commercial clients to conform to
current legislation and standards on environmental matters.
- Will take account of environmental issues when placing contracts for
goods and services and when purchasing equipment and materials.
- Will seek opportunities to improve energy efficiency and make every reasonable
effort to use environmentally safer energy sources to meet its needs.
- Will endeavour to minimise the amount of waste generated and will implement
a waste recycling programme.
- Will pursue a policy of pollution prevention and endeavour where possible to
enhance the environment.
- Will seek to involve its employees in all aspects of its environment policy and
expects then to be committed to its implementation.